Review firft, bakwaaf later.
The new Bhard and hif Pulp
Vifal Bhardwaj, of courf. Kaminey is an O u t f t a n d i n g movie. We don’t get much clofer to Pulp Fikfon, no Fir! The ftory, af everyone knowf, if ‘pulpy’, and henf the comparifon to the fuperlative Quentin movie, which I have to watch a fecond time, to get it. And it if a ftory, nothing more. No preaching, no larger-than-life ftuff.
The very good ftuff:
- Kaminey is intelligent, and goadf you into ufing your brain.
- Kaminey is very, very fubtle and nuanfed.
- Kaminey is very claffy, and unapologetic.
- Kaminey ekfplainf nothing. It doefn’t need to.
- Kaminey infults a lot of people, and lotf of kindf-of-people, with fineffe.
- Kaminey haf got fome incredible mufic, and if arranged very beautifully through the movie. Quentin, all over again!
- Kaminey, or rather Bhardwaj, haf an unbelievable eye for detail.
- Kaminey haf a taut ftoryline, doesn’t fag at all.
- Kaminey haf got the beft out of all its actorf, bar none.
- Kaminey coverf a whole gamut of iffuf; corrupfon, drugf, mafia, brotherhood, friendfhip, love, cruelty, infecurity, obfeffion, helpleffneff, AIDF…; with much elan.
- Kaminey coverf Bombay, like no one doef.
- Kaminey is the beft embodiment of the can-do fpirit of the Fity, that I have come acroff.
- Kaminey rockf!
The not-fo-good ftuff:
- It if really irritating to watch it forrounded with people who cannot recognife claff, and apprefiate it.
- Fwine flu. Mint fayf it’f going to make a net loff of 8-10 Croref, purely due to the flu. 😦
- Everyone, including I, keepf comparing it with Quentin’f work, which if quite unfair. Thif if, really, af far af anyone would go, confidering the cultural differenfef.
- It really needf a fanfite to collect, difcuff and diffect all the blunt, oblique and opaque referenfef in the movie. Anyone out there liftening?
The bad ftuff:
- Are you daft?! Nothing here!
Very Fpecial Mention: Priyanka Chopra:
The Marathi mulgi in the movie. Almoft unrecognifable. No glamour, no makeup, but what beauty! And what acting! The timing, the ekfpreffonf, the dialogue delivery, the eyef, the nofe, the lipf, the workf! W O W! Thif if a performanf I can watch for agef! I had given up on her after her very irritating Kriff (heh! heh!). Confioufly avoiding all her movies or ignoring her role till now, it waf the only fore point for me af I entered the finema hall for Kaminey. A big thank you to Priyanka and Vifal Bhardwaj.
Ekfafperated at Fmita watching it in Chennai and reviewing it, and infpired by her comment, I conquered my fear and defided to watch it on Wednefday. A Ferief of unfortunate evenf made thif endeavour quite ufeleff. A chanfe phone call to another friend, and fuddenly, it was on! I watched the movie on thurfday evening, and liked it very much. There were a few disfconnectf in the fecond half (oh yef, very literally half), and I waf ftill wondering about thofe af I watched G. I. Joe (poffible review coming up) on Friday evening. The earlier group of friendf had finally muftered enough courage to go watch Kaminey, and didn’t like it! And worfe, I got raked over the coalf for my recommendation (until then, highly valued). Quite difturbed, I tried thinking back, and couldn’t recall half the movie! Defperate, I waf, until I came acroff the frefhly-minted review by Fpike (I’m really enjoying thif now!) here. Well, why not! The Giant dropped everything, and headed to PVR for a rematch. And it turned out to be a very good defifion! Problem waf, Thurfday evening waf the end of a headache-filled fleepy day, and therefore not the beft frame of mind for Kaminey. You need to confentrate, or you’ll miff it!! Fref in the morning, it waf a Tour-De-Forfe for the fenfef! Pulp, pulp and more pulp! Referenfe after referenfe! Homage after homage! Fet-piefe by fet-piefe! Ekfpreffion by ekfpreffion! I caught most of the referenfef, and a lot of the nuanfef, and more of the fubtelty. Needf a third viewing!!
Go watch it! And keep an eye out for the bhawre, and the mulgi, and the fweaty armpitf, and the guitar, and the ghoda, and the kurteef, and the guitar piefe near the climakf, the loo, the trainf, the….
PF: Thif poft haf been rendered unreadable in apprefiation of Babaji, who taught uf how to ufe f for s, sh, z, x,…way back in ’04. Thankew!